If you are a nature-lover, how about wandering around Aokigahara with a certified nature guide? Unique vegetation created by the eruption of Mt. Fuji is worth observing. A 3-hour hike in the serene atmosphere offers you a special experience. Fresh air, singing birds and greenery will make you feel relaxed.
Saiko Bat Cave bus stop (No. 45) - The meeting place may change, depending on the itinerary.
- Meet at Saiko Bat Cave bus stop
- Different types of beautiful lava formations inside are amazing and worth seeing.
- Saiko Bat Cave closes from December through the mid-March in order to protect bats hibernating inside of the cave. Wind cave or Ice Cave would be an alternative place to visit during that period.
- Aokigahara, "the Sea of Trees", stretches over the lava plateau formed by the eruption of Mt. Fuji. Formations of lava and creepy-looking roots spreading over a thin layer of soil have created the mystical and serene atmosphere. The fresh air and greenery spreading through the forest will make you feel relaxed and peaceful!
- You might find the field signs of wildlife on the way.
- The view spot offers a majestic view of Mt. Fuji if the weather permits.
- The cave with the serene atmosphere used to be regarded the sacred place by the followers of Mt. Fuji worship. It'll be a special opportunity for you to learn a different aspect of Mt. Fuji as the holly object
Saiko Bat Cave bus stop (No. 45) - The place where the tour ends may change, depending on the itinerary.
Aokigahara, "the Sea of Trees", stretches over the lava plateau formed by the eruption of Mt. Fuji. Formations of lava and creepy-looking roots spreading over a thin layer of soil have created the mystical and serene atmosphere. The eco system and unusual vegetation of the forest are informed along the way.
The fresh air and greenery spreading through the forest will make you feel relaxed and peaceful!
The following are what you can see and learn during the tour.
You can choose the itinerary or make yours, referring to the list below.
1) A hike through the woods
- You might find the traces of the animals on the way.
- Moss-covered lava and creepy-looking roots spreading over a thin layer of soil are amazing.
2) Saiko Bat Cave
- Different types of beautiful lava formations can be observed.
3) Nenba Hama (North shore of Lake Saiko)
- A view spot with magnificent landscape of Mt. Fuji and the lake
Enjoy the stunning view of Mt. Fuji from the north shore of Lake Saiko if the weather permits.
4) Ryugu Lava Cave
- The cave used to be regarded the sacred place by the followers of Mt. Fuji worship.
It'll be a special opportunity for you to learn a different aspect of Mt. Fuji as the sacred object.
5) Learn about the history of Mt. Fuji and Aokigahara, and unusual vegetation formed by the lava flow and wildlife in the forest.
・Enter ”Saiko Bat Cave”.
・Hike in the Aokigahara forest.
・Visit "Nenba Hama" which is the north shore of Lake Saiko. It offers a majestic view of Mt. Fuji if the weather permits.
・Visit "Ryugu Lava Cave".
・Enter ”Saiko Bat Cave”.
・Hike in the Aokigahara forest.
・Visit "Ryugu Lava Cave" on the way to the final destination.
・Enter either "Fugaku Wind Cave" or "Narusawa Ice Cave"
You can extend your tour for a visit to "Saiko Iyashi no sato Nenba" - Craft village with thatch-roofed houses, or for a hike to the top of Mt. Sankodai (Elevation : 1,202m) which commands the breathtaking scenery of Mt. Fuji, Aokigahara and lakes if the weather permits.
*Please note that...
・Saiko Bat Cave closes from December through the mid-March in order to protect bats hibernating inside of the cave. Wind cave or Ice Cave would be an alternative place to visit during that period.
・Hiking up to Mt. Sankodai is available from mid-March through mid-December.
Transportation expense - Two-day pass for the unlimited ride (1,500jpy) is available at Kawaguchiko station.
Food and drinks during a hike
Admission fee for Saiko Bat Cave: 300jpy
The expenses for the guide’s transportation and lunch are to be charged to you. Thank you for your understanding
＊Take a Sightseeing Bus (Green-Line) from Kawaguchiko station to meeting place (Approx. 40-min ride). I can inform you how to get there in advance. However, if you are not farmiliar with the transportation in that area, I accompany you from/to Kawaguchiko station. In this case, the extra charge and the bus fare for me (1,500jpy) are required of you.
＊Be well-prepared for a hike.
＊Suitable shoes for a hike (Sneakers are preferable.)
＊Rain gear in preparation for rain
＊Warm clothes (The Aokigahara area is much colder than the other places like Tokyo. Altitude: about 900m)
＊Bring snacks and drinks if needed.
＊Keep in mind that Mt. Fuji won't be visible depending on the weather conditions.
＊Highway bus service between Tokyo (Shinjuku) and Kawaguchiko is available. (one-way fare: 2000jpy)
- The purchase of round-trip tickets is highly recommended in advance as the highway bus tickets for Tokyo are sold out quickly.
＊In case of severe weather conditions such as heavy rain and snow, the itinerary may be changed.
- Saiko Iyashi no sato NENBA is recommendable as the alternative place to visit.
(Craft village with thatch-roofed houses where traditional crafts and local products are available.)
Tomomi San has given us a wonderful experience exploring Fuji. She has excellent local knowledge and has taken to some very beautiful places. I most definitely recommend Tomomi San as your excellent guide. Her English is perfect and she even helped to translate with the hotel we are staying at and booked us taxi rides. All we can say is Tomomi San is the best and has made our experience in Fujisan most memorable.. Arigato Tomomi San... Jacqui and Anusha
Thank you for giving me such a great comment on the tour. I am very happy that you two shared your special time with me. It was such a joy you enjoying a stroll through Oshino Hakkai and the breathtaking views of Mt Fuji. The time we spent together was short, but I felt like you were my old friends as you were very nice and friendly to me. Hope you come bake to the Mt. Fuji area in the different season to find the different charms that Mt. Fuji and its surroundings show! Arigato, Jacqui and Anusha san!!
Had a wonderful experience with Tomomi exploring the forest. She is very informative and provides clear insights on the region.
Thank you very much again for having me as your guide, Terrence san! I am very happy to have helped you have an enjoyable and precious time in the Aokigahara forest. It has the different charms depending on the seasons, so you can come visit there again to find them! You are always welcome.
Like other reviewers said, Tomomi-san is very professional from the planning to the execution of the tour. Before the tour she was able to solve quickly my doubts about transportation and during the tour she was very knowledgeable and precise bringing with her detailed info material. But the most incredibile aspect is the passion she is able to show during the tour. Even if she lived her life on the foot of Mt. Fuji, and she probably visited these places hundreds of times, during our tour in Aokigahara (and surroundings) she always expressed such a sense of wonder, that it felt like she was seeing these places for the first time with you. This really makes you feel like you are visiting special places. She is also curious herself, and has shown a high sensibility towards my interests. I was lucky enough to realize my tour with good weather and an astonishing view of Mt. Fuji and I was in the best possible company with Tomomi-san. I will cherish this day in my memory.
Stefano-san ! Thank you for your review which has motivated me a lot. I was very happy that you booked my tour again. It had been three years since you canceled the same tour due to the COVID pandemic. We finally met. The time we spent together wasn’t long, but it was precious. I hope you have more interest in Japanese culture and nature through this tour. ありがとうございました！
The one day tour around the Aokigahara Forest (including the Wind and Ice cave) was amazing. The beauty of the place is unique. Regarding Tomomi, she was such a nice and helpful. All the explanations provided by Tomomi during the tour made the experience really interesting and wonderful. Highly recommend. Tomomi, thank you for the tour!