Backstreets in Namba offer lots of great little shops, restaurants and bars for the locals.
I will take you to the area and ask you choose 2-3 spots and restaurants to visit.
You'll start the tour from Nipponbashi (Osaka's sub-cultural mecca) or Doguyasuji (kitchen equipment street including potteries and knives) and end the tour in Dotonbori. Kuromon Market is optional.
Check out what we are going to do.
Feel free to personalize this offer.
Information Center Namba (near Takashimaya/Nankai Namba station) or at your hotel in Osaka
Kuromon Market (Optional & has to start the tour by 4:00pm)
Shinsekai & Tsutenkaku (Optional & need an extra hour)
Ura Namba (backstreets with many standing bars and small restaurants) for dinner and/or drink
Wherever in Namba
Before ending the tour on the famous Dotonbori street, you can enjoy your own preferred way of digging into Namba by visiting places such as:
- Small local diners/bars that you can go hopping;
- Local sushi bar that serves sushi from the chef
- Doguyasuji street, a shopping arcade dedicated to providing cooking tools and equipment both for homes and professional chefs including Japanese knives, plastic foods, tacoyaki grills and more;
- Kuromon Market for food stands and local specialties; and
- Nipponbashi sub-culture area for gadget shopping at DenDen town, visiting a cat-cafe, maid-cafe, game and anime shops, etc.; and/or Karaoke bar/restaurant that you can enjoy food and singing in a private space.
- Shinsekai if you want to see the retro atmosphere of Osaka from the Showa-era. Tsutenkaku tower is illuminated at night with other 3D signs which gives you a chance to take a perfect Osaka shot.
I will make sure to maximize your precious and limited time in Namba without having communication and/or wandering problems, and even more, you will enjoy interacting with Osaka locals who are known as so much fun to chat/drink with!
guide fee for 3.5- 4 hours, hotel pick-up in Namba and Umeda area
transportation fee for you and guide (to/from your hotel in Osaka area to/from Namba station. About a few hundred yen one way), dinner for you and guide, entrance fee if any
1. The tour is 3.5-4 hours depending on where we go. You can choose a few spots and one or two places to eat and drink that can be covered within 3.5- 4 hours.
2. If you'd like to visit Doguyasuji and/or Kuromon market, I recommend starting by 16:30 as most shops there close around 18:00.
3. The cost of food and drink for you and guide is not included in your guide fee. (ex. glass of beer: 300-600 yen, small dish: 300-500 yen, main dish: 500-1,000 yen, takoyaki: 500-700 yen, etc.) Please understand this is not a typical sightseeing tour, rather focus on eating and drinking at a local place in Osaka, frequently referred to as the country's kitchen, which is why the tour rate is set low
4. Please have enough cash to pay at a small restaurant/bar which normally takes cash only.
5. Namba has a variety of restaurants/bars from high-end sushi bars to very reasonable stand-up bars, so I will choose one as per your budget and what kind of food you'd like to eat. It will be helpful if you can tell me your preference in advance.
6. Please note that most small restaurants/bars are not smoke-free especially during dinner/bar time in Japan.
Yes, but you can't go into bars and please note that most restaurants are not smoke-free.
We have engaged Seiko san for 2 days tour to Osaka and Kyoto. We have had an enjoyable trip where Seiko san was a fantastic guide. She is so knowledgeable and cater to our needs and requirement. She knows all the in and out of Osaka and Kyoto and meetings all our needs in food, tour requirement and timing. One word to summarise - Outstanding!
We love how attentive and accommodating Seiko is. My children adore her for being funny and friendly. Also, she knows her way around. Worth your every penny. We will definitely book her again.
Seiko is an excellent knowledgeable guide with great English skills and attentive, intuitive sense of what we were interested in and spent more time guiding and explaining the historical and cultural significance of them. We had an optional day planned for Nara but learned from her about the islands in the Seto Inland Sea. She noted that we enjoyed the arts and suggested it as another option. A bonus from a professional that really knows the country!
My sister, niece and I spent three amazing days with Seiko. We had so much fun, we wanted to have more days! She is so full of knowledge about Japanese culture, food, history, and art. She navigated us swiftly and effortless around Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka, and showed us many hidden jewels we would have missed if we had been on our own. She is also super sweet, a great conversationalist, and a lot of fun. After Day 1, she already felt like a old family friend. We hope to see her again!!
Thanks Chris, you guys were amazing! I had such a great time in the 3-day tour especially showing different kinds of sake and some of my favorite dishes to the gourmet family:) 3 days were not enough for me to accommodate your kind of people, so please come back and let me show you more! Thanks again! Seiko