You would want to experience the most out of Tokyo during your however short or long your stay in Tokyo is, correct? Let’s say you have 4 days, you might be wondering what to do or where to go, and how to make the most out of your 4-day Tokyo trip.
Don’t worry, by the time you've finished reading this article, you will have the answer to all of that and more. So read on!
In this article, I’m going to share with you some of the must-visit places you can go and what to do in Tokyo for 4 days, some itinerary ideas, extra tips, some ways to make your 4-day Tokyo trip more interesting, and more recommendations!
Tokyo, the capital city of Japan, is a sprawling city with many incredible attractions and sights. Each of them has their own character and appeal. It continues to attract tourists from all over the world with its distinct character and charm. In 2017, it is one of the most visited cities in the world and it shows no sign of stopping.
Tokyo has it all. A lively and modern side, a traditional and serene side. Temples and shrines, nightlife, street food to fancy dining, flea market to high-end shopping, bustling-crowded area to quiet-suburban area, nature, anime, arcade games, themed cafes, parks and many more.
What to do in Tokyo for 4 days
There are so many different things you can do. Tokyo pretty much has anything and everything of your interest.
Here are some ideas you can choose from:
- Go to Akihabara for anime and electronics paradise.
- Visit the temples and shrines in Asakusa and near Harajuku Station.
- Visit the many themed cafes like Robot Restaurant, Vampire cafe, Monster cafe, maid cafe, owl cafe and so many more.
- Eat good food. Everywhere in Tokyo, literally everywhere (ramen, takoyaki, sushi, Kobe beef, anything you like!)
- Go to the convenience stores and buy some of the interesting food, snacks, and drinks.
- Have picnics and enjoy the beautiful nature in some of the parks in Tokyo such as Shinjuku Gyoen National Park and Ueno Park. Especially if it’s cherry blossom season or autumn!
Wait, that’s not all.
- Go to the many different museums in Tokyo, like the Mori Art Museum, Samurai Museum, Ghibli Museum and so many more interesting ones.
- Do a little people-watching (not in a creepy way) at the Shibuya Crossing.
- Enjoy the city view from Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.
- Watch sumo tournaments or sumo practice.
- Participate in a Japanese tea ceremony.
- Shop high-end things in Ginza or Omotesando, and also kawaii stuff in Takeshita Street.
- Go to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea.
...and so many more. The choice is yours. The things you can do in Tokyo are endless. You will not run out of things to do in Tokyo, and it’s impossible to get bored during your travel in Tokyo. Everywhere you look, there is a new and unique thing.
Where to Go in Tokyo
I’ll list some popular areas in Tokyo and some of the major spots or related stuff in that area that you can check out
Some tips for your 4-day Tokyo trip
Here are some tips to make your 4 days in Tokyo a little more time-efficient:
- Choose the destinations you want to visit most and prioritize them. Don’t try to squeeze everything in 4 days. You would want to experience the attractions and not be rushed.
- Do research and plan ahead and structure your time right. I can’t emphasize enough how important this is. You would want to go to places with short distances in one day at once, so you don’t have to go back and forth and waste money.
- Buy prepaid cards like Suica or IC card to make it more time-efficient. You don’t have to buy a ticket each time you want to take the train.
- You don’t have to, but buying a SIM card or renting a pocket wifi can be very helpful. Staying connected to the internet can make your travel in Tokyo easier.
4 days in Tokyo- itinerary ideas
It’s important to plan ahead to make the most out of your Tokyo trip, especially if you have limited time. 4 days is just right to experience some of the popular destinations in Tokyo and have a feel of the city. That’s why having a great itinerary is so important.
If you are looking for 4-day Tokyo itinerary, you can check this Tokyo 3-day itinerary for first-timers. Although it is only 3 days, for the fourth day, you can freely stroll around Tokyo maybe to discover lesser known places, or plan an itinerary on your own, or choose from these itinerary suggestions:
Travel plan for first timers in Tokyo- packed with the major destinations that represent Tokyo.
Tokyo 1 day itinerary (Imperial Palace, Ginza, Skytree) - a great itinerary that includes the popular spots of authentic Tokyo and popular shopping district Ginza.
Tokyo Rainy 1 day itinerary- You can’t always expect to have sunny weather during your Tokyo trip, so just in case it rains, you can follow this itinerary.
Or you can opt for an even more convenient way! What’s the way? Keep reading!
A more convenient way for your 4-day travel in Tokyo
There’s a way if you want to experience Tokyo without the hassle of planning an itinerary and figuring out the details in traveling like directions and transportation. How? Hire a private guide!
There are so many advantages that come from hiring a private guide. It’s more convenient and hassle-free. You can have a deeper understanding of the places you visit, extra safety, an enhanced trip and so many more.
If you hire a private guide, you can follow their provided itinerary suggestions, or customize them to match your interests. They will guide you so you don't have to worry about direction, transportation, and language difficulty. You can get their suggestions of where are the best places to go, best restaurants to eat at, and ways to make your trip more interesting.
Recommended tour guides
There are many places on the web where you can hire tour guides, but you never know what you are getting into, whether the guides are quality guides or not. Or whether the website is trustworthy or not.
That’s why I’m recommending you TripleLights. The guides are selected carefully to ensure the quality of the work and service.The website offers many qualified tour guides options in Tokyo and other areas of Japan from which you can choose according to your needs and preferences.
Through the website, you can watch the guides’ personalized videos, read the reviews of each guide, check their availability and service cost to help you find the right guide.
The website also has many different private tour options in many different areas of Tokyo, which you can check out by clicking here, and also different cultural experiences like Japanese tea ceremony, sumo practice watching, samurai experience, and more. You can check them out by clicking here.
Where to hire a tour guide in Tokyo
You don’t have to look very hard to find a great private guide for you. Here is a list of great tour guides in Tokyo. And if you are looking for guides in other areas of Japan, you may want to click here.
You can also go on a private tour of your choice, here is a list of private tours with set itineraries that you can customize when you book. Here are my recommendations for private tours in Tokyo and also the tour recommendations for Kyoto and other areas of Japan.
If you think that joining a private tour or hiring a private guide is the best option for you, you can still make your trip in Tokyo easier. You can rent a private charter van or car (depending on the size of your group) to charter you around in Tokyo. Click here to check the many options of private chartered cars in Tokyo. So convenient!
I hope this article helps you figure out what to do in Tokyo for 4 days with the itinerary suggestions, tips to make your Tokyo trip more time-efficient and convenient, another way to make your 4-day Tokyo trip more interesting and other suggestions. I hope you have a great time in Tokyo!