This is a seven hour private tour by van from Akita City to Oga Peninsula, located in the northwest of Akita City. Oga Peninsula is the home to the renowned Namahage Legend. The peninsula's coastline is fantastic and the view of the Sea of Japan at Cape Nyudozaki, the tip of the peninsula, is spectacular.
Akita Port or Akita Train Station
Namahage Museum and Namahage demonstration at the Oga Shinzan Folklore Museum
Akagami Shrine Goshado or Oga Acquarium
Akita Port or Akita Train Station
- Namahage Museum: More than 100 Namahage masks are exhibited at Namahage Museum. You can try Namahage costumes on for free photo session.
- Oga Shinzan Folklore Museum: Visitors can observe demonstrations of Namahage visiting a Japanese family.
- Cape Nyudozaki: Spectacular view of the Sea of Japan, located at a northern latitude of 40 degrees.
- Akagami Shrine Goshado: Important cultural property of Japan. Visit requires climbing 999 natural rocks/stones on the hill where the shrine is. The climb takes about 15 to 20 minutes per one way. Participants should be physically in good shape. A legend says that 999 steps are believed to be piled by demons.
- Oga Museum (GAO Museum): Among the attractions of about 10,000 marine animals are polar bears and seals. This is an option for those who are not fit to climb 999 steps to Akagami Shrine Goshado.
- Godzilla Rock: A popular spot on Oga's coastline near Akagami Shrine Goshado. The rock, eroded in a unique shape resembling Japan's famous monster, Godzilla.
Guide fee only.
- Van: approximately JPY 46,000 for seven hours.
- Admission fees: Namahage Museum and Oga shinzan Folklore Museum: combined ticket costs JPY 864.
- Admission fee: Oga Aquarium: JPY 1,100
- Guide transportation to Akita port/station: approx. JPY 8,000.
I can guide you in Akita and Iwate Prefecture if you pay my transportation fee which is usually Yen 8000.
This is a private tour by van. A fee for a van should be paid separately.
The scenic view during this tour is weather dependent.
Visit to Akagami Shrine Goshado requires climbing 999 rock/stone steps on the hill to reach the shrine. Please wear comfortable shoes, and bring water.
Please read the cancellation policy below before you book.
We had 2 wonderful days with Alkiko. We would High recommend booking with Akiko
Thank you! It was my pleasure to travel with you all. Two great families!
Akiko was very helpful and we enjoyed our trip in Akita with her. She's very friendly , excellent communication skill. She organized our tour very well and maximized our day. Thank you
It was my pleasure! I hope everyone enjoyed the cold weather at the beginning of winter. Best wishes. Akiko
The perfect experience as Akiko organised everything to perfection and was very patient in explaining things. She also had back up plans. We were able to see Akita dogs and the traditional cherry bark craft. Thanks again Akiko and hope to engage your services next time we are Japan.
Thanks, Edward. Happy to see you all again at the noodle restaurant after the tour. Hope you enjoyed another day in Akita, and explore more during your stay in Japan.
Akiko planned a wonderful tour for us for the one day we had to tour Aomori Prefecture. Excellent planning, very flexible to meet our needs, and wonderful personality. We enjoyed the day so very much!
Happy to know that you really enjoyed the day including pizza! I hope to see you again in Colorado some time in the future. Warmest regards, Akiko